Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Prayer


Luke 18: 1

            Jesus was telling his friends a parable to show that at all times they ought to pray and not to lose heart.
                                                                        *
            Jesus told his friends to pray always and not lose heart. But what is prayer all about? Can we really change God’s mind or his will by our prayers? I don’t think so. But we can indeed change the course of events with prayer. Because prayer doesn’t change God, it changes us ─ it makes us into new persons with new options for the future.
            When I was a young Catholic school boy back in the Bronx, prayer was a simple matter. I just made the nine first Fridays and I was guaranteed a seat in heaven. All I had to do to pass my math test was to neatly etch the initials of Jesus, Mary and Joseph, JMJ, on the top of my test paper. But of course that was before Vatican II.
            As I grew into a young man of the 1960s, I became intellectually uncomfortable with the concept of prayer. I developed a distorted view of prayer as a self serving attempt to manipulate God; something that I was way above trying ─ unless, of course, I lost my car keys when, after holding out for a mere 45 seconds, I’d be begging Saint Anthony to find them ─ and he always did! I never could figure how those keys would magically reappear. And, you know, they still do.
            As I’ve matured in my faith, I have come to understand that prayer is not about changing God, but about changing the person who prays. Prayer is about letting go. It’s about emptying ourselves, so that there is room for God to come into our hearts to change US.
            We are filled with clutter: anxieties and agendas and instructions for God. So filled, that there is no room for God to get in. Before God can work within us, we need to let go, to empty ourselves of all the clutter.
            It’s not so easy to empty ourselves, to let go of all that clutter. There is so much clutter in our world — things to fill us with anxiety and dread. But it can be done. Each of us has to find our own way.
            Dag Hammarskjold was Secretary General of the UN in the 1950s and early 1960s. His job caused him to witness the dark side of human nature, over and over again: violence, war, bloodshed, greed, political betrayal. You could say he had a front row view of original sin.
            And yet Dag Hammarskjold remained a man of faith, a deeply spiritual human being. Perhaps he is best remembered by the answer he gave when asked by a reporter what he said to God when he prayed. Hammarskjold responded, “For everything that has gone before, thank you! For everything that is still to come, yes!”
            Three little words,  ‘thank you’ and ‘yes’; that’s how Dag Hammarskjold emptied himself to make room for God. Each of us has to find his or her own way.

……………………………………………………………………………………..
Readers of this blog might enjoy these books by Deacon Lex. Both are available on Amazon.com:

Just to Follow My Friend: Experiencing God’s Presence in Everyday Life

Synchronicity as the Work of the Holy Spirit: Jungian Insights for Spiritual Direction and Pastoral Ministry


1 comment: